From BMW Tech
|Car classification||Midsize car Vehicle size class Luxury car Sports sedan|
|Car body style||4-door Sedan|
5-door Station wagon
|Vehicles||BMW 5 Series|
|Vehicles||BMW 5 Series|
The BMW E60 Automobile platform is the basis of the 2003-onwards 5-Series automobile, replacing the BMW E39. Before the recent restyling, the models available were the 520i, 520d, 525i, 525d, 530i, 530d, 535d, 545i, and the M5. The model range received uprated engines as part of the restyling.
- The 523i replaced the 520i as the base model and featured the previous 525i engine, detuned to 177 bhp (132 kW; 179 PS).
- The 525i received a new 218 bhp (163 kW; 221 PS) engine (up from 192 bhp).
- The 530i engine output was increased to 272 hp (up from 231 bhp).
- The 528i replaced the 525i with 230 hp (up from 218 hp).
- The 535i replaced the 530i with 300 hp (up from 258 hp).
- The 530d was upgraded to 231 bhp (up from 218 bhp).
- The 535d was upgraded to 286 bhp (up from 272 bhp).
- The 540i was introduced with a V8 engine producing 302 bhp (225 kW; 306 PS).
- The 550i replaced the 545i in the fall of 2005 with 362 bhp (270 kW; 367 PS).
- The 520d, 525d and the M5 remained the same.
The E60 is available in both Sedan (car) and Station wagon (E61) platforms. The exterior design by Chris Bangle and Adrian van Hooydonk is controversial due to its unusual proportions. The 'eyebrow' of the front headlights was also frowned upon by car magazines for taking away the aggressive look of its predecessors. Its iDrive system has been simplified from the system in the 7 Series. It can be ordered with a full array of options such as Adaptive Cruise Control, Head-up display, active steering, and the Harman Kardon Logic7 stereo system.
The BMW M5 is the high performance version of the range, and is one of the highest performance sedans on the market. Like all BMW 'M' cars, it balances superb handling with power, which is delivered by a naturally aspirated 5.0 L (40-valve) V10 producing 373 kW (507 PS (500 hp/373 kW)). The car has a 0-100 km/h time of 4.7 seconds, 0-200 km/h time of 15 seconds, and an electronically governed top speed of 250 km/h (155 mph). Though given the correct tire ratings and the removal of the governor the M5 is capable of 205mph (329km/h).
EuroNCAP test of the 5-series:
Initially the 5-series received a three-star rating for adult occupants.  However changes were made to the steering column, footrest, door trims, door latch, airbags and electronic software and the car was retested achieving its four-star rating. BMW claims the modifications improved the car's EuroNCAP score not the vehicles safety, consequently BMW would not recall the earlier built cars.
The American IIHS (IIHS) gives the 5-series a Good overall rating in frontal collisions but a Marginal overall rating for side impact collisions. The IIHS reported their side impact test would likely cause driver related rib fractures and/or internal organ injuries. The IIHS tests were conducted on models built after May 2007, these models had modifications to improve side impact safety.
The NHTSA gives the 2008 model the following scores:
|Model||Model Year||Engine|| E60|
- ↑ "Toyota Prius". Tests. EURO NCAP. http://www.euroncap.com/tests/bmw_5_series_2004/208.aspx.
- ↑ http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsArticle/BMW-5%20Series/210953/
- ↑ http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/news/2732004/BMW-lashes-out-in-crash-test-row.html
- ↑ http://www.iihs.org/ratings/rating.aspx?id=199>
- ↑ http://www.iihs.org/ratings/rating.aspx?id=831
« previous — BMW road car timeline, 1980s–present
|Small family car||3 Compact||E36/5||E46/5|
|1 Series||E81 / E82 / E87 / E88|
|Compact executive car||3 Series||E21||E30||E36||E46||E90 / E91 / E92 / E93|
|Executive car||5 Series||E12||E28||E34||E39||E60 / E61||F10|
|Coupé||6 Series||E24||E63 / E64|
|Luxury vehicle||7 Series||E23||E32||E38||E65 / E66 / E67 / E68||F01 / F02|
|Roadster||Z Series||E30 (Z1)||E36/7 & E36/8 (Z3)||E85 / E86 (Z4)||E89 (Z4)|
|Supercar/Grand tourer||E26 (M1)||E31 (8 series)||E52 (Z8)|
|Progressive Activity Vehicles||Progressive Activity Vehicles||V3|
|Progressive Activity Vehicles||V5|