It featured BMW M30 straight-6 engines of 2.5, 2.8 and 3.0 litres in road cars, with larger units used in racing.
It was very successful in racing and helped establish BMW's status as a sporty driver's car, with success in European Touring Car Championship and the Deutsche Rennsport Meisterschaft.
The CSL model is very collectible today.
- 2.5 CS: 150 hp (110 kW), produced in small numbers (874) from 1974 to 1975
- 2800 CS: 170 hp (125 kW), produced from 1968 to 1971
- 3.0 CS: 180 hp (132 kW), 2985cc, using twin Zenith 35/40 INAT carburetors
- 3.0 CSi: With several modifications, including a new compression ratio, and retuned Bosch D-Jetronic Electronic fuel injection system, the 3.0 CSi bumped power up to an impressive 200 PS (149.1 kW), with a 137 mph (220 km/h) top speed.
- 3.0 CSL: The 3.0 CSL is considered the first project by the BMW M division. The car was a lightweight, 3003cc sports model of the 3.0 coupe. Special racing models with 3.2-litre (340 hp/253 kW) and 3.5-litre (430 PS) engines and aerodynamic trimmings helped establish BMW as a premier racing team.
Starting in April 1971, the exclusive BMW 3.0 CS is built in Rheine by Karmann.
The four-seated coupe is the successor model of the BMW 2800 CS, which has been built by Karmann since September 1968, on behalf of BMW.
From 1971 until 1975 21,147 three liter BMWs are built in Rheine.
BMW E9 CS Production Numbers
|3.0 CSi RHD||66||128||13||207|
|3.0 CSiA RHD||69||139||7||215|
|3.0 CSL RHD||349||151||500|
|2800 CS USA||43||415||183||641|
|2800 CSA USA||36||403||87||526|
|3.0 CS USA||132||411||450||375||1368|
|3.0 CSA USA||60||377||314||438||1189|
|Total E9 Production||0||0||0||138||3400||5242||4535||6777||6026||2694||1734||30,546|
References in popular media
- A BMW 3.0 CSi was seen in Herbie Goes to Monte Carlo as one of the competing cars in the Trans-France Race. It was mostly light blue with white trim, and a numeral 8 inside a somewhat elliptical border. Also on this car was a word that seemed like Lotharl's on the hood.
- In an episode of the television program "Top Gear" presenter Jeremy Clarkson reviews the BMW E46 M3 CSL, and claims to have owned an old BMW 3.0 CSL.
- A BMW CS is used by Ryan Gosling in the 2007 movie "Fracture" with Sir Anthony Hopkins.
- http://www.e9coupe.com/ (excellent site for all things coupe!)
- http://www.bmwcsregistry.org/ (US based BMW CS site)
- From Bavaria with Love: The BMW E9 Coupes
« previous — BMW road car timeline, 1950s-1980s — next »
|Microcar||Isetta 250 / 300|
|Small family car||600||LS/700|
|Compact exec||3 Series||340/340-2||1602/2002||E21||E30|
|6 Series||503||3200 CS||2000CS||E9||E24|
|Sports car/GT||M1, 8 Series||E26||E31|