BMW Manufacturing Co. Spartanburg
|(BMW Spartanburg Logo)|
|Founder(s)||BMW AG (Munich, Germany)|
|Headquarters||Spartanburg, South Carolina, USA|
|Key people||Josef Kerscher (President)|
|Products||X5, X6, Z4, Z4 Coupe, Z4 M Roadster, Z4 M Coupe|
BMW Manufacturing Co. Spartanburg is BMW's only US production facility. It was built to serve the demand of BMW automobiles directly in the US. Due to the structure of BMW's production plan, however, the Spartanburg plant does not actually assemble all BMW vehicles sold in the US market; instead, the plant serves as the only X5, X6, and Z4 production site in the world. Hence, all models of these vehicles exported worldwide originate from BMW Spartanburg.
When BMW announced in 1992 that it would build a manufacturing facility in the United States to strengthen its international production system, a new era began. The location: a Template:Convert/LoffAoffDbSonNa site in Spartanburg County, South Carolina, a state with little-known expertise for automotive production, yet a proven record in public/private, pro-business partnerships. Among South Carolina’s assets: a qualified workforce and additional training through its Technical Education System; easily accessible transportation facilities, including a deep-water port, major airport, modern rail and road systems; and strategic location within easy distribution range of a majority of BMW’s primary United States markets.
The now $2.2 billion investment solidly positions BMW Manufacturing as an integral part in the company’s five-plant production network. Unlike many other automobile factories, all of the manufacturing processes in the South Carolina facility are under one roof, creating an open communications environment that enhances the focus on quality.
BMW Manufacturing Co. is a BMW Group company. In addition to the South Carolina manufacturing facility, BMW's North American companies include sale, marketing, design and financial services operations in the United States, Mexico and Canada, as well as throughout Latin America.
- Josef Kerscher - President, BMW Manufacturing Co.
- Doug Bartow - Vice President, Paint
- Barbara Bergmeier - Vice President, Assembly
- Walter Berkmann - Vice President, Logistics and Information Technology
- Carsten Regent - Vice President, Quality Management and Engineering
- Bernd Koenigsbruegge - Vice President, Body
- Robert Nitto - Vice President, Corporate Affairs
- Sean Noonan - Vice President, Finance
- Martin Schuebel - Vice President, Procurement
- Kathleen Wall - Vice President, Human Resources
The current president of BMW AG in Germany, Norbert Reithofer, was president of BMW Manufacturing Co. from 1997 to 2000.
- X3 (coming soon - production to be transferred from Austria)
- no information available
- Sports Activity Vehicle
- Sports Activity Coupe
- Z4 (2009 production to be transferred to Germany)
- M Roadster
- M Coupe